How we are fighting COVID-1918 March 2020
ORION HOTELS & RESORTS STATEMENT ON CLEANING PROCEDURES 18 MARCH 2020
President Cyril Ramaphosa addressed the Nation on 15 March 2020, and declaring COVID-19 a national disaster.
Standards of hygiene and cleanliness in our Hotels are taken very seriously and we are taking the necessary steps to enhance the safety of our guests and staff. Orion Hotels & Resorts has been monitoring the World Health Organization statements regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19) closely.
On a daily basis, our Hotels are working to ensure that they meet the latest guidance on hygiene and cleaning. Our Hotels’ health and safety measures are designed to address a broad spectrum of viruses, and include everything from hand washing hygiene and cleaning product specifications to Guest room and common area cleaning.
Specific actions Orion Hotels & Resorts are taking:
ASSOCIATE HEALTH, SAFETY AND KNOWLEDGE: Hotel staff – and their own health, safety and knowledge – are essential to an effective cleaning program. Here are some ways we’re supporting them:
- Hand Hygiene: Proper and frequent hand washing is vital to help combat the spread of the virus. In our daily meetings, our teams are reminded that cleanliness starts with this simple act. It’s important for their health and of our guests
- Ongoing Training: In addition to training on housekeeping and hygiene procedures, Hotel staff are also completing enhanced COVID-19 awareness training
CLEANING PRODUCTS AND PROTOCOLS: We work with our partners and suppliers to make sure our Hotels can procure and use anti-bacterial products. Our Hotels use cleaning products and protocols which are effective against viruses, including:
- Guest Rooms: Hotels use cleaning and disinfecting procedures to clean rooms after guests depart and before the next guest arrives, with particular attention paid to high-touch items
- Public Spaces: Hotels have increased the frequency of cleaning and disinfecting in public areas, with a focus on the counter at the front desk, elevators (and elevator buttons), door handles, public bathrooms and even room keys.
We are providing all Hotel guests or staff with Hand Sanitizer that contains 75% Alcohol
- Back of House: In the spaces where staff work “behind the scenes,” Hotels are increasing the frequency of cleaning and focusing on high-touch areas like staff entrances, locker rooms, laundry rooms and staff offices
EVENT NOTIFICATION: If we are alerted to a case of COVID-19 at one of our Hotels, we immediately work with the relevant health authorities to obtain the facts and guidance on steps to take with both guests and staff. We undertake an additional cleaning and disinfecting protocol of the common areas of the Hotel as well as the areas we know the guest has been during their stay. In addition, the Hotel seals the guest’s room (e.g., preventing entry by staff or others) and undertakes a room recovery procedure that is designed to disinfect everything in the room including sanitizing the air.
We are doing our utmost best for you to enjoy your stay with us.
Loving to have served you better today
Dr. Antoinette Gmeiner
Orion Hotels & Resorts