The original Magoebaskloof Hotel was built in 1937, located on Magoebaskloof Road, between Polokwane and Tzaneen in the Haenertsburg region. An unspoilt setting was chosen for the hotel’s location with glorious views extending to Duivelskloof, Modjadji and beyond. The hotel was built among indigenous bush and trees. The Magoebaskloof was built by Archie and Eileen Rankin.
In the late “thirties” this area was unestablished and somewhat unknown. Haenertsburg attracted the attention of the general public for its historical significance. On completion of the building, Magoebaskloof Hotel became one of the few country hotels in the Limpopo area.
In 2004 the hotel was destroyed by a fire that started in the kitchen and spread to the adjacent lounge, bar, foyer and bedrooms. From the existing building, the Red Post Box Pub, the Dickie Dagge conference room and the accommodation wing of 30 bedrooms remained intact. With the assistance of management, waiters and other hotel staff the hotel was rebuilt and restored to its former glory.